Sunday, April 24, 2011

It's Official. . .

WARNING: This post contains words like lactating and period (not the punctuation) it also contains my bra preference. If any of these things make you uncomfortable I suggest not reading this post.
I am no longer a lactating member of Society! I made the switch to formula yesterday and luckily for me Dixon loves it. The reason I switched to formula is because D has not gained any weight for about 3 months. He has grown longer and and his head has grown, but no weight gain. D's Dr. recommend supplementing with formula, but I decided to completely switch over. FREEDOM!!!
Now looking back I think my milk supply started to diminish when I started him on solids. He started rice cereal at 4 months, veggies at 5 months, and a few weeks later fruits. Once he started eating solids he wouldn't nurse very long. I still nursed him in the morning yesterday and today because that was the only time I was feeling engorged. I plan on nursing him in the mornings for as long as it takes me to dry up.
Ever since I decided to switch to formula I have been making a Pro/Con list in my head. And now I will share it with you.
Pros





  • No longer worrying about what I can wear in public that will allow me to nurse modestly


  • Someone besides me can feed him (now that D is eating formula it would be the prime time for Kamas to feed him, too bad he is gone for the next 6 months)


  • I can now leave him with a babysitter and not have to worry if I pumped enough milk for him


  • I don't have to pump anymore


  • Goodbye nursing bra, Hello new Victoria Secret Very Sexy Push Up Bra (TMI? )


  • I don't have to worry about him not taking a bottle from someone else (when he was nursing he would only take a bottle from me most of the time)


  • I can wear what ever dress I want to church

  • I can wear layers without worrying how I am going to nurse with 3 shirts on


  • and once again FREEDOM! (the thought just occurred to me that I could now leave D for days at a time without a ton of preparation, not that I would, OK some days that sounds appealing, but I wouldn't do that, probably)



Cons






  • I now have to buy formula and it is expensive


  • I had to buy bottles because I only had one


  • I now have to wash bottles


  • I no longer get 7 extra points for Weight Watchers


  • I have to make sure that I have a bottle and formula in my diaper bag when I leave the house


  • When D eats his bottle he makes a huge mess


  • I don't really know how much D will drink at meal times so that sometimes leads to wasted formula


  • No more nursing covers


  • Formula spit up is way more smelly

  • The return of Aunt Flo, seriously the day I decided to give D a bottle I got my period, for the first time in over a year (once again, TMI? )



I guess it is a little bitter sweet that Dixon is done nursing, but honestly I am surprised I lasted this long. If I knew that Dixon loved formula I probably would have made the switch sooner. Mostly I am happy to be done nursing, but I am glad that I nursed D for 7 months.

No comments: